The cold dreary winter air is bad enough on its own. It’s just not fair that it also causes hair to seem more dull and flat. Right?! I’ve also noticed that my hair seems thinner, so I must be going through a hair shedding phase, too. This led me to find some new products to help my hair grow and feel thicker. And of course, being the blogger that I am, I have to share those products with you. So, here are some products that give life to dull flat hair!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Everyday with CEA is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Everyday with CEA.
I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, or link to any products or services from this website. Thank you for supporting EWC!
There are some products I think of as more of a treatment for your hair versus just a styling aid. These create a more permanent change in your hair rather than something that will go away when you shampoo your hair again. So, let’s talk about those that will help give life to your flat hair before styling:
- IGK Extra Love Shampoo and Conditioner – This is the only volumizing shampoo and conditioner I have used that I felt was hydrating enough for my wavy hair.
- Olaplex No. 8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask – I use this a couple of times a month. Not only does this mask add extra moisture and smoothness, but it also gives body and repairs damage.
- Nioxin Diamax, Hair Thickening & Breakage Protection Treatment For Thinning Hair – As you probably gathered from the name this spray helps thicken hair and protect it from breaking. I find it very easy to use – just spray close to the scalp and massage it in. It can be used daily, or every time you wash your hair. It has a nice peppermint scent, too!
- Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Oil – I always use a serum on the midshaft and ends of my hair after I shampoo and when I’m refreshing my style. The oil from Olaplex helps to repair and strengthen the hair strand while adding shine and softness. It also reduces flyaways and provides heat protection.
- Collagen – I’ve noticed taking a collagen supplement has helped my hair grow a lot. So, if that’s something you’re able to take, give it a try. Of course, ask your doctor or pharmacist and do what is best for you!
The quickest fix for flat hair is to add volume. A few years ago adding volume seemed to mean hairspray and a teasing comb at the roots to make a big pouf. But, there are several things you can do to give some natural lift and volume to your hair without that teased Snooky vibe.
Here are some products that will give some volume and movement to your styled look:
- Aquage Uplifting Foam – this mousse-like product is sprayed at the root before blow-drying upward to give some lift to the hair.
- Big Sexy Hair Powder Play Lite Soft Volumizing & Texturizing Powder – This powder is nice because it has a nozzle that you can just spray into your hair, right where you want it. It gives a nice grit to the hair and adds some lift and texture. I like using a volumizing powder near the scalp and a cream for the rest of my hair.
- Sexy Hair Powder Play Lite – a cream version of the ever-popular powder, this can be rubbed between your hands and applied to the mid strand and ends of your hair to give some added texture and break up curls/waves. It can be used near the scalp – just be cautious to use it underneath the top layer of hair so it doesn’t make the root area look greasy.
- IGK Beach Club Volumizing Texture Spray – So far, this is the best texture spray I’ve found! It doesn’t leave a weird coating on the hair and it doesn’t leave the hair stiff.
- Healthy Sexy Hair Smooth & Seal Anti-Frizz & Shine Spray – shine instantly makes hair look nicer, doesn’t it? This spray is great at the end of a style. I like to spray it down and use my hands to smooth flyaways (like all the ones I have from my collagen powder, haha).
Other Tips for Dull Flat Hair
Of course, keeping hair healthy always helps. I’m never going to be the hairstylist that tells you not to use heat on your hair. I don’t think that’s practical, especially in the winter. Just the thought of sitting with wet hair makes me shiver, lol. But, I do suggest you use it in moderation. Use dry shampoo between washes, touch up with hot tools only as needed. And always use a heat protectant.
If you can let your hair air dry, that’s great! If you have hair like me it’ll be wet for hours and then look not cute when it finally does dry. Plus wearing hair up in the winter makes my ears cold. So, blow drying is the lesser of 2 evils, for me, haha.
Another note – if your hair doesn’t feel damaged, be careful not to use too many reparative or bonding products. You can add too much protein to your hair which can actually make it brittle. Instead, focus on hydration, volume, and shine to give your hair some oomph.
If you’re an Amazon gal, here’s a link to my hair care list.
Have you tried any of these products? I’d love to know your thoughts – share them in the comments below!