A few years ago a friend said “eww” when I mentioned that I don’t wash my hair every day. Fast forward to today and many clients and friends ask me how to make second and third-day hair work. Personally, I don’t wash my hair every day because it’s naturally dry. The more I wash it the drier it feels. And, I have a lot of hair- I don’t want to deal with washing and blow drying it every day. Plus, sometimes, my hair holds style better the next day when it’s not so soft and frizzy. Like with any style, a product makes a difference. So, I put together a list of my favorite products for second-day hair.
Products for Second-Day Hair
This page contains affiliate links and I may receive a commission if you click and/or make a purchase.
For me, it’s more about the type of product than the brand. While I think these products are great- anything similar could work. My advice would be to apply the product to your mid strands and ends, avoiding the new growth area so it doesn’t look oily. I hear people say that you have to train your hair (and scalp) to get used to less frequent washes. This is probably true for most people but everyone’s hair is different. Try it, test some products, and see what works for you!
1. Creaseless Hair Tie. I’ve used Invisibobble for a few years. I like them when I put my hair up at night and when I go to the gym to preserve my style. It doesn’t leave big dents or snag my hair. Recently I tried the popular GIMME Beauty hair ties and was pleasantly surprised that they didn’t leave marks on my hair. I have a feeling these may work better for more hair types.
2. Dry Shampoo. IGK Direct Flight is my current go-to. I also liked Dove Detox & Purify if you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option. The spray is translucent which is a plus for dark hair! Not only does it absorb excess oil it adds lift to the hair, as well.
3. Curl Refreshing Spray. I use DevaCurl Mist-er Right Dream Curl Refresher to revive natural waves- just spray it all over and re-scrunch. It’s a game-changer!
4. Lightweight Moisturizing Serum. Biosilk Silk Therapy has been a favorite for many years. I use a small amount on second-day hair to prevent dryness, fight frizz, and give shine. A little goes a long way with this! Currently, I’m using Healthy Sexy Hair Moisturizing Love Oil.
5. Weightless Hairspray. I’ve been repurchasing Soy Touchable Hairspray for years. Actually, I started using this in cosmetology school when I realized my gels, mousses and firm hairsprays weren’t the best products for second-day hair. It holds hair without getting crunchy or stiff. I use this all over after a first-day style because I know I’ll still be able to work with my hair the next day, and the next! Soy touchable is humidity resistant and provides protection from thermal tools and UV rays, too!
6. Finishing Spray. My hairstylist uses Aquage Finishing Spray. Once she started using it on me, nothing else compared (as a firm hold). I’ll use this when I style my hair or when I’m putting it back. It’s a firm hold, but brushable. So, it holds the style and keeps the flyaways in check but I can still work with my hair again the next day if I need to.
It works best for me to wash my hair at night, let it dry while I’m sleeping and style it in the morning. Then, I can leave that style for a day or 2. If I’m not working I may let it air dry or use a light curl product so I can still style it with a hot tool the next day. On the second day, I like to put it up in a half knot, like shown above, or pin the sides back. I do touch up with a curling iron or flat iron as needed. On the third day, headbands and voluminous ponytails are my go-to styles. Although, I can get away with another half-up style with enough dry shampoo. 🙂
Thank you for reading!
What do you think about second-day hair?