Do you feel like you didn’t get an invite to the life you always dreamed of? Then this post is for you. Life is hard, pandemic or not. When we are caught up in the day-to-day stresses and busy schedule, it’s easy to feel behind. Sometimes it’s a memory or an engagement announcement, that causes those thoughts to spiral. I’ve been there! Many times, actually. Here are some things to help shift that mindset when you feel behind:
– Think of what you do have or what you have accomplished. Took a fun trip? Accomplished a goal? It’s a good reminder that although you may not be where you think you want to be, you do have things worth celebrating.
– Give yourself time to wallow. A hill I will die on is that we need time to move through our emotions. If you’re sad that something hasn’t gone the way you wanted it to – be sad. But, don’t be sad for days. Work through the emotion so you can move on.
– Remember everyone’s journey is different! If you’re feeling behind after looking at someone’s baby announcement, remember that you have a different journey and that is more than ok!
– Write out your goals and how you’re going to crush them. Make a plan and focus on things you can control. Heck, check items off your to-do list. Accomplishment feels good!
– Do something for yourself. Whether it’s taking a bath or binging your current favorite show. Take some time for self-care.
– Repeat after me, “I can be happy for others even if I’m not happy.” To be honest, sometimes I find myself saying this in mind a lot. And as silly as it may sound, it works. Truthfully, it’s not easy. But, you’ll come to find that ultimately you feel better spreading positivity for those around you.
There’s no doubt that feeling behind is not fun. But, hopefully, a little perspective shift can help!
You’re not alone.
(If you liked this post, you may like this one, too.)